I wrote this piece for my blog a few weeks ago, toward the end of March. Well, now I’ve gone and done it. I’ve added two new Works in Progress! I know, insane. However, I look at it this way, not all will come to fruition, so it’s okay to speculate.
So now I’ve decided I obviously have to finish my trilogy, The Brittle Saga, and after that, it’s got to be The Ragged Edge of Time because it’s also so close to the finish line. And as I’ve now had both my cataract ops on my eyes and they are working fine, even with my old eyeglasses, I’ll be onto finishing The Brittle Land and The Brittle Sky from tomorrow.
Written 22nd March 2021
The WIP in question means Work-In-Progress. So no, I’m not into sado-masochism. All I can say is you have a dirty mind, dear reader.
Currently I have the following WIPs I’m working on and I’m still having perfectly good ideas for more.
- The Brittle Land 86k Historical Fiction
- The Ragged Edge of Time 60k Science Fiction Time Travel Alternative History
- The Brittle Sky 20k Historical Fiction
- Ascension: New Earth 6k Science Fiction Space Opera
- Blank 5k Murder Mystery Action Thriller
- Welcome to Beyond Science Fiction Horror 2k
- Walking Away from Midnight Historical Fiction Action Adventure 1k
- Sentinels Science Fiction Dystopian 1k
- The Division Science Fiction 1k
- Blank Thriller Screenplay 1k
- Blind Faith Thriller 1k
- A Crafty Murder Whodunnit Murder Mystery 1k words
- Blood and Fire – Historical Fiction 1k
- Catalyst – Science Fiction Thriller 1k
The last two on the list I’ve added as an afterthought because they are simply an idea so far with little substance to them other than a chapter and an outline, but I like both ideas. And last but two is a screenplay I wrote about 10 years ago. Blank is one of my favourite ideas.
These are in order of word count, not publication. The top three are my priority, The Brittle Land and The Brittle Sky being the next two to be published. That will see my trilogy completed and I can then get on with finishing The Ragged Edge of Time.
Then I have a decision to make. Which WIP next? My leaning is to finish Welcome to Beyond, which is a science fiction cross between the classic 1953 black and white science fiction film It Came from Outer Space directed by Jack Arnold and the modern-day classic of M. Night Shyamalan’s Signs.
I’ll have to wait and see what I feel like once I have the top three out the way. In the meantime, I’m waiting for my first jab of the AstraZeneca-Oxford vaccine and having my second cataract op next month, so not a lot of writing going on just now.
Copyright © Tom Kane 2021
Published by Brittle Media
Here’s a selection of my books published over the years, and you can even read some of the chapters for free by clicking on the link below the image.